So, I had no plans for dinner the other night. My husband was traveling, so it was just myself and the girls. Sometimes, I treat them with a dinner out but that night I didn’t want to spend any money…’it was a use what you have kinda night.’
I love having quick vegetarian meals, that are filling, healthy and take only a few minutes and ingredients to pull together.
The blue cheese crumbles sunk right to the bottom of the bowl. Melting right away when you add the your first spoon.
I love soup for dinner. Add some crunchy bread, biscuit or just an extra ladle full of soup and you have a great meal. Plus with these cooler nights, I’m loving soup!
Broccoli, Bacon & Blue Cheese Soup
Gluten Free, Dairy Free (Optional), Paleo, Whole 30, Vegetarian (Optional)
Makes about 1 Quart
- 2 thick cut uncured strips of bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 medium crowns of broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 heaping teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (gluten free flour works too)
- 1 heaping teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 8oz can coconut milk, unsweetened
- 2 cups vegetable/chicken stock
- good quality blue cheese, about 2 tablespoons
1. Saute (medium low heat) bacon bits in a 2 quart heavy pot, until crispy. Remove bits – keep that delicious grease in the pot.
2. Add chopped onions, broccoli, chili flakes, coconut flour, salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and chicken/vegetable stock. Cover pot and let the liquid begin to boil.
3. Once it reaches a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 8 minutes, covered slightly (peep toe that lid).
4. In a food processor or immersion blender, blend that soup. Blend until smooth or desired consistancy.
5. Ladle into soup bowls. Add reserved bacon bits on top and a little crumbled blue cheese. Dig in, while its hot.