I am all about using what you have. I’m not always good at it, but I’m always willing to try.
My pantry is usually packed. And I’m usually up for going to the grocery for a few items for a meal…but lately I’m using what I already have in the pantry.
It sometimes takes more brain power but let’s face it, dragging two young kids to the grocery store at 5:15 pm isn’t like a trip to the beach with a margarita.
Use what you’ve got!
We all get into cooking ruts. And even when you are in the food industry, like me…I get in ruts too! Its so easy to keep cooking what you cook all the time or what’s easiest or what pops right into your head.
In an effort to jazz up our dinners, I’ve been ‘clipping’ recipes from food magazines. There is a pile of them, on my kitchen counter. This Andouille and Chicken Jambalaya looked good and I liked the simple effort it took for a quick weeknight meal. Plus it could feed the whole family.
But I needed to make some changes to make it gluten free, without beans and not spicy. So basically, I wrote a brand new recipe.
I was pleasantly surprised, that my whole family loved this meal. Sure, there were a few things the kids picked at and separated on their plate but the added rice and tasty sausage won us all over!
And my biggest bonus of this Jambalaya is that I added a TON of chopped SPINACH!!!! AND everyone ate it at the table.
My husband even ate it for leftovers yesterday…no complaints about all the green in it, either! YES!!!
Gluten Free Sausage and Chicken Jambalaya
Gluten Free, Paleo (without the rice), Dairy Free, Whole30
Makes 2 quarts…so plenty for leftovers
- 1 package fully cooked, gluten free Andouille sausage
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, coconut oil or oil of your choosing
- 1/2 medium sized white onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon pure Gumbo File seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour (I used Cup4Cup)
- 1 8oz. can fired roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 quart organic chicken stock
- 1 boneless chicken breast (roasted with oil and salt or poached in chicken broth)
- 1 heaping cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, heat to medium heat. Add thick sliced sausage and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from pan. Lower heat to medium low.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato paste, gumbo file, paprika and flour. Stir together and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes, salt and pepper and chicken stock.
- Mix everything together in the pot. Turn heat to low and cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add chopped chicken, sausage, spinach and 1/2 of the parsley.
- Keep warm and serve. Great with white rice and more parsley for garnish!
- Can be frozen