I made this twice last week. For two different clients, who raved about it.
And I need to be honest. I had never made it before but wants not to love.
Ghee, walnuts, thyme, salt and pepper, chicken, lemon, capers and some dry white wine…or chicken stock.
Week night meals that can be made from scratch in less than 20 minutes – well, they have my name all over them and I’ll be making them over and over again!
The tang from the lemon and capers, the creamy ghee flavor and the rich nutty walnuts…Its great when a meal is healthy and tastes good at the same time.
I’m all about things being healthy but lets be real. They HAVE to taste good, or I’m not eating it!
I love pan sauces. I need some sort of sauce with my chicken. The chicken stays moist but its always nice to have something to dip it into!
Walnut Crusted Chicken Piccata
Paleo, Gluten Free, Whole 30, Dairy Free
Makes 4 servings (1 chicken breast each)
- 1 cup of raw walnuts
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons ghee, coconut oil or bacon grease
- 1/2 dry white wine or cooking wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/3 cup capers, drained
- parsley, to garnish
- Chop walnuts. Don’t worry about getting them all the same size. Add them into a bowl along with thyme, salt, pepper and chicken breast. Toss to coat the chicken and press some of the walnuts onto the chicken.
- Heat a large non stick pan to medium heat and add your ghee or cooking fat.
- When the pan is heated, add chicken breast. If there are walnuts left over in the bowl, save them. Cook on one side for 3-4 minutes. Flip when browned.
- Add wine and chicken stock and any remaining walnuts. Cook uncovered for 3-6 more minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Turn off heat and add capers, lemon and parsley.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving! And make sure to serve with the pan sauce.
*Great with roasted vegetables, cauliflower rice, or brown rice.