I love condiments. I mean, who doesn’t love something really good to dip something else that’s really good into??
I think a good BBQ, ranks in my top 5 of condiments! I mean you can use it on lots of things!
And this one…is a good one.
When you are eating the Paleo way…or just gluten free, dairy free or sugar free – this one works!
Yes, there is a long list of ingredients, but nothing that is hard to find. If you have to buy some of the spices, I know you will use them again…and I’m all for stocking up a pantry!
The depth of tomato flavor is crazy. And with garlic and honey – yes, it’s delicious!
If you prefer spicy sauce, add more paprika and chili flakes and maybe even a 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. You like it sweet? Well, add a bit more honey and molasses. I love how you can change a recipe to cater to your tastes with a few little tweaks…it’s that simple…just remember to write it down, if you want to make it again sometime!
Smoked Paprika & Honey BBQ Sauce
Makes about 4 cups of sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium sized white onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
** optional: 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (if you like it a little spicy, add this and more)
- In a medium sized heavy pot, heat the coconut oil on medium heat.
- Using a food processor, process the onion and garlic until it is finely diced – almost looks like the consistency of apple sauce.
- Add onion and garlic to heated pan and saute for 6-8 minutes, until it turns translucent and most of the liquid is gone.
- Add remaining ingredients. Yes, everything else on the ingredients list.
- Turn heat to low simmer. Set your timer for 1.5 hours. Stir it with a wooden spoon every 10 minutes or so. The mixture will decrease by at least 1/3. Let cool on the stove for 30 or more minutes.
- Use right away or store in an airtight container.
Store in an airtight glass containers in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Remember to use a clean spoon each time you dip into the sauce – try not to contaminate, so it last longer!
**Inspiration for this recipe came from Wellness Mama’s sauce.