I love some good comfort food. And cornbread is always on my list.
I mean what goes better with a bowl of stew or chili? I know, cornbread.
While it is NOT Paleo, every once in a while, I need to go with my gut and make this! It’s a treat after all and isn’t something that I make all the time. With it being gluten free, it makes eating a few pieces all the better.
Let’s talk about gluten free flours.
I’ve tired my fare share of them. AND drum roll please…Cup 4 Cup is the BEST!! Hands down – you can simple replace it with traditional flours in any recipe. Same quantity – just swamp it!
Did I mention this recipe is sugar free?
Yes, you read that right!
And when you have leftover cornbread. Add HONEY!! The salty corny (ha) bread goes so well with this little bee heaven!
Gluten Free Skillet Cornbread
Gluten Free, *Dairy Free. Makes one large skillet – serves 4 hungry adults 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (I LOVE and use Cup4Cup)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free cornmeal (I LOVE and use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or omit
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 heaping teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a medium-sized cast-iron skillet with bacon grease or butter, and place inside the oven while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Melt the butter and let it cool slightly while you whisk together the eggs and milk in a separate bowl. Add the honey and butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir gently together. Try not to over mix it.
- Remove the heated skillet from the oven and pour the batter in. Turn the oven down to 345 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is brown.
- Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.